Coconut Tomato ChutneyJump to recipe
Chutney is a savory, sweet or tangy accompaniment usually served with a snack or with Idli, Dosa, Pakoras and more in India. While it us mostly made with a herb or coconut, it can also be made with vegetables and fruits.
This Coconut Tomato chutney is very easy to make. It is an extension of the regular Coconut chutney. I have added Tomato for the freshness and tang and so you don’t have to add either tamarind or lemon as in the regular coconut chutney. Goes really well with Idli, Dosa, Pongal, Paniyaram etc.
While you are here I request you to look up other recipes like Till ki Chutney, Aati Kachina Thakkali Kuzhambu, Vathakuzhambu, Dosakaya Chutney, Zucchini Potato Wheat Dosa, and more…
- Coconut 1 cup
- Fried chana dal/ chutney chana/Pottu kadalai 1 tbsp
- Green chillie 2
- Red chilli 2
- Tomato 1 large
- Oil for tempering
- Mustard sees 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves a few
- Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
- Assemble all ingredients.
- In a blender put in the coconut and grind coarse. Add the fried chana, green chillies and red chillies and grind without water.
- Add the chopped tomato and salt and to grind smooth. Add little water to adjust consistency, add salt and give a single spin in the blender.
- Take 2 tsp oil in small tempering Kadai and add in the mustard seeds, after they splutter add the asafoetida, and curry leaves. Pour the tempering into the chutney.
In a blender put in the fresh coconut, fried chana dal, green chillies and dry grind to a coarse paste. Add some salt as per taste and add in the chopped tomatoes and now grind to a fine paste. Add in some water to adjust consistency and give it a nice spin in the blender. The Coconut tomato chutney is ready to be served with Idli, Dosas, Pongal, etc. Enjoy. Bon Appetit.
- Since we have added tomato there is no need to add any other form of sour ingredients like tamarind or lemon.
- First, dry grind all ingredients and then only add in the chopped tomato, otherwise, they won’t get ground evenly.
We would love to hear what you think of this recipe. Let us know in the comments.
Get yummy recipes delivered to your inbox!
Be the first one to know about our new recipes. Leave your email below and get notified as soon as new recipes are published!