Sabudana Kheer / Javvarisi PayasamJump to recipe
Sabudana or Sago Pearls is a starch obtainfrom the Tapioca root. It contains high carbohydrates thereby making them a high energy food. Sabudana/ Javvarisi or Sago Pearls are considered be highly satiating, therefore many people gave it during fasting. These Pearls come from a tuber and not grain, that’s another reason they are fasting friendly.
This Sabudana Kheer recipe is easy and delicious. Made with Condensed Milk it gives the perfect consistency and sweetness.
Sago pearls quality varies from place to place and store to store, therefore I stick to a single place to buy them. Bigger pearls are better than smaller ones.
How to soak Sabudana/ Tapioca pearls for Kheer and other recipes?
Take the required quantity in a bowl and rinse with room temperature water couple of times, until the water runs clear. Now drain all the water, add 2 tbsp fresh water again, close and let it rest for 3 hrs or overnight. Before using separate the pearls with your fingers and use.
Hope you try this recipe for the soon approaching festival season.
While you are here I request you to check out other festival recipes like- Chakkara Pongal, Akkaravadisal, Sukhiyan, Nei Appam, and more…
The Making of Sabudana Kheer video is included in notes section.
- Sabudana/ Javvarisi/ Sago pearls 1/2 cup
- Milk 3 cups
- water 1 cup
- Condensed milk 180 gm
- Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
- Cashewnuts a few broken
- Raisins 10
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- Saffron strands 4 to 5 soaked in 2 tbsp warm milk
- 1.Wash, drain and Soak the Sabudana as instructed above.
- 2. Add the ghee to a pan and heat. Add the nuts and Raisins and fry them until golden. Remove on to a plate and set aside.
- 3. To the remaining ghee in the Pan, add the Sabudana, after separating the pearls with your fingers. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until ghee coats the pearls well.
- 4. Now add 3 cups milk followed by 1 cup water and cook. Keep stirring from time to time. The pearls start turning translucent ( takes about 7 to 10 minutes on low flame).
- 5. Now stir in the condensed milk and stir. Cook until the mixture starts thickening. Now add, the Saffron infused milk,stir and cook another 2 minutes . If the mixture is too thick, dilute with little milk.
- 6. Add the Cardamom powder and the fried nuts and raisins and turn off the flame. Serve warm or chilled. Enjoy!
For the Making of Sabudana Kheer video refer Notes Section.
- Sago pearls quality varies from place to place and store to store, therefore I stick to a single place to buy them. Bigger pearls are better than smaller ones.
- Since Sago has a high starch content the Kheer gets thicker in consistency on cooling. I recommend keeping the consistency a little thin, so that when it thickens up it is the right consistency.
Here is the Making Video
Get yummy recipes delivered to your inbox!
Be the first one to know about our new recipes. Leave your email below and get notified as soon as new recipes are published!