Kadai Paneer (Semi Dry)Jump to recipe
Kadai Paneer is a popular North Indian dish made from Paneer( Cottage Cheese) and Capsicum in a spicy tomato sauce. The taste and flavour of this recipe lie in the masala( spice) powder that is very simple to make and can be made instantly while cooking. As I keep making this dish regularly I make a larger quantity of the masala and put it in an airtight container, so that it is handy when I want it. You can also sprinkle small amounts of this masala on other stir-fries. In this recipe I have given a dry version, the gravy version is coming up soon. The dry version gets done quickly and is very easy to make if you have the mentioned masala powder ready.
This dish even better with fresh homemade paneer. I’m coming out with a Homemade Paneer recipe soon.
Serving suggestions: Serve Dry Kadai Vegetable with Rotis, Parathas, Puri, Naan or with Rice.
The recipe for Kadai Paneer is given below…
- Paneer 200 gm cubed
- Capsicum 1 medium cubed
- Onion 1 chopped and petals separated
- Garlic 8-10 cloves crushed roughly
- Tomato 2 large chopped fine
- Coriander seeds 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies 3
- Ginger 1/2 inch julienned
- Methi dana/fenugreek seeds 5 -6 seeds
- Assemble all ingredients. Crush garlic, cube the paneer, chop onion, capsicum and tomatoes, julienne the ginger.
- Roast the Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds and the dry red chillies on a low flame until crisp and light brown in a karahi and cool. Grind to a coarse powder.
- Now in the same karahi add 2 tsp oil and heat. Add the onions and saute on high heat for 2 minutes or until they start turning light brown. Then add the capsicum and continue to saute on high heat until the capsicum starts turning light brown. Transfer to another vessel.
- In the same karahi add 2 tsp oil, reduce the flame and put in the crushed garlic and fry. As they start turning brown add the prepared masala powder and continue to fry. If the masala becomes too dry add another teaspoon of oil and fry.
- Now add in the tomatoes and saute. Add salt and half cup of water and cook the tomatoes well. Keep mashing the tomatoes while cooking so that we get a pulpy mixture.
- Now put the Methi seeds and ginger julienne and cook for 30 seconds. Now add the sauteed onion and capsicum, mix well and cook until the mixture becomes semi-dry.
- Add in the Paneer and cook for 5 minutes on low heat. add some crushed Kasoori Mathi, garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves. Kadai Paneer is ready to serve.
Heat a wok/karahi. Put the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, dry red chillies into it and fry until light brown(without oil). Transfer to a blender, let it cool and then grind it coarse. Now add 1 tsp oil to the wok/karahi and heat. Add the onions and saute on high heat until light brown. Add in the capsicum and continue to saute on high heat until the capsicum also gets a light brown colour. Transfer the sauteed onion and capsicum to another vessel and set aside. In the same wok add more oil and add the crushed garlic and saute, keep stirring at it can stick to the pan bottom. Now reduce heat and add in the prepared masala powder and fry nicely. If the mixture becomes dry, add another teaspoon of oil and fry the masala until the rawness is gone. Add in the tomatoes and saute for a minute. Add half cup of water and cook the tomatoes well. Keep mashing the tomatoes in between so that we get a pulpy mixture. Now add the methi dana and ginger julienne and cook for 30 seconds, add Kashmiri red chilli powder 1/2 and cook for 30 seconds. Now add the capsicum and onions to the tomato paste and continue cooking. When the mixture becomes semi-dry add in the Paneer cubes and stir for 2 minutes, add some crushed Kasoori methi and put off the flame. The Kadai Paneer is ready to serve. Enjoy. Bon Appetit.
- While frying the masala powder add adequate oil so that the masala doesn’t burn.
- The methi dana and julienned ginger give a very nice flavouring to the subji.
- More garlic can be added if you prefer.
For more Paneer recipes keep looking up this page.
If you tried this recipe and liked it please comment below. I would love to hear from you.
Follow, like and share the pages too.
Get yummy recipes delivered to your inbox!
Be the first one to know about our new recipes. Leave your email below and get notified as soon as new recipes are published!