Pav BhajiJump to recipe
Pav Bhaji the popular food from Maharashtra is everyone’s favourite. It is also the most popular street food. Everyone has their favourite outlet for this yummy street food variety. Mine is Elco Arcade in Mumbai and Gangotree in Chennai. If you visit these places please try them out.
- Pav – Store-bought
- Potatoes 4 medium boiled and mashed
- Tomatoes 2 large(pureed) used the local variety(desi) if available
- Onion 1 large finely chopped
- Green chillies 3 finely chopped
- Cauliflower 3 florets finely chopped
- Carrot 1 medium finely chopped
- Capsicum 1 medium finely chopped
- Green peas 1/2 cup ( I have not used here as could not find fresh ones)
- Ginger -garlic paste 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp(or more if you prefer)
- Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Fennel powder 1 tsp
- Amchur powder 1 tsp
- Salt as required
- Garam masala powder 1/2 tsp
- Oil for sauteeing
- Butter for toasting the pav and a dollop for the bhaji
- Assemble all ingredients. Boil and mash Potatoes, puree the tomatoes. Chop onions and green chillies.
- In a pan take 1 tbsp oil and heat. Add in the cumin seeds and as they crackle add the green chillies and saute for 30 seconds.
- Now add the onions and saute on high flame for 30 seconds followed by turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste and saute for 1 minute. Now add in the capsicum and saute for a minute. Add in the cauliflower and carrots and green peas(if using), add salt and continue to saute for 2 minutes.
- Now pour the tomato puree, followed by red chilli powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, amchur powder and stir nicely. Cook for 1 minute and add in the mashed potatoes and mix well. Using a masher mash the potato-veggie mixture in the pan until all are well combined. Now add about 1 cup water and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Check for salt and spice and if less add at this stage.
- Finally, add the garam masala powder and turn off the flame. The bhaji should not be lumpy nor should it be runny. The spicy and tangy Pav Bhaji is ready to feast on. Toast some fresh Pav with a liberal amount of butter and serve the bhaji topped with finely chopped onion, coriander and a dollop of butter.
Boil the potatoes and mash them. Puree the tomatoes in a blender. In a karahi/pan take 1 tbsp oil and heat. Add the cumin seeds and as they crackle add the green chillies and saute for 30 seconds. Now add the onions and saute for a minute. Add the turmeric powder and continue to saute for 30 seconds, now add the ginger-garlic paste and saute until the onions start turning light brown. Now add in the capsicum and saute for a 1 minute. Remember that all sauteeing to be done on high flame. Now add the cauliflower and carrot and saute for 2 minutes. Now add the tomato puree, followed by red chilli powder, coriander powder, fennel powder, and salt and stir nicely. Cook for a minute. Now add the mashed potato and using a masher keep mashing and mixing all the veggies in the pan. Repeat the process until all are well combined. Now add 1 cup(can add up to 1.5 cups) of water and cook for 2 minutes on low flame. Now add Garam masala powder and turn off the flame. Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves, finely chopped onions and a dollop of butter. Toast the fresh Pav with a liberal amount of butter and serve hot with the Bhaji. Enjoy. Bon Appetit.
- I recommend you use some green peas. As I could not find any on that said day I have made my Bhaji without it. If using boil them ahead.
- Be liberal with the butter it really enhances the taste.
- One can also sprinkle some grated cheese over the Bhaji, to make Cheese pav bhaji.
- If you don’t want to add other vegetables it is fine and the dish will still taste the same.
If you tried this recipe and liked it please comment below. I would love to hear from you.
If you want the recipes emailed to you leave your id in the homepage near the????
icon. Whenever we have a new post the recipe will be mailed to you. Thank you for showing interest in Rajjo’s Kitchen.
Get yummy recipes delivered to your inbox!
Be the first one to know about our new recipes. Leave your email below and get notified as soon as new recipes are published!