Lemon RiceJump to recipe
Lemon Rice is one such recipe which is easy to make with minimum ingredients. It doesn’t need any specific accompaniment. It can be had just like that or with Papad. It’s the perfect lunchbox item. The zing and freshness of lemon is enough to bring everyone to your table for their share.
- Rice 1 cup ( regular rice not Basmati)
- Lemon 2 medium size
- Green chillies 2
- Red chillies 2
- Ginger 1 inch piece
- Curry leaves a few
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Asafoetida powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Chana dal soaked in water( for 1/2 an hour) 1 Tbsp.
- Mustard 1 tsp
- Peanuts 1 Tbsp
- Oil 3 Tbsp( refined or sesame) for tempering and 3 tsp for drizzling on cooked rice.
- Assemble all ingredients.
- Cook the rice in a pressure cooker. After pressure settles, transfer the rice to a large plate and spread it. Drizzle some oil on it. Allow it to cool.
- In a Karahi take oil for tempering and heat it. Put in the peanuts and fry until golden brown.
Add all tempering ingredients- mustard, soaked chana dal( water strained), urad dal, green chillies, red chillies, ginger, Asafoetida, curry leaves. Fry until they get a nice brown.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt and put off the stove. Squeeze juice of one lemon. Mix well.
- Mix the cooked rice little by little to the tempering. Finally, squeeze the juice of another lemon on the rice and mix gently but thoroughly. Lemon rice is ready. Enjoy with some Papads.
Cook the rice in a pressure cooker. You can use 2.5 to 3 cups water for 1 cup of rice. As soon as pressure releases transfer the rice to a large plate/ tray and spread it. Drizzle little refined oil or sesame oil on it, so that the rice doesn’t stick together. Allow it to cool.
In the meanwhile take 3 Tbsp oil in a Karahi/ pan and heat it. Drop the peanuts gently into the oil and fry until you see a nice golden colour. Add the mustard, as it crackles add the green and red chillies, ginger, asafoetida, urad dal, soaked chana Dal after straining the water, curry leaves and fry them till the dals are a nice golden colour. Add the turmeric powder and salt and put off the stove. Now add the juice of 1 lemon to it and mix well. Now add the rice little by little to this tempering. Mix well so that the tempering is evenly distributed. Now squeeze the juice of another lemon on the rice and mix gently( my secret to the freshness). There the yellow beauty is ready to serve…Bon Appetit.
- Usually, Lemon rice recipes state adding the lemon juice to the tempering, which gives the taste but not the flavour. some other recipes recommend squeezing the lemon directly over the rice. This ensures the flavour, but not the taste as the juice will not get evenly mixed.
- In this recipe I have divided the juice into 2 halves and added one half to tempering and another half to the rice, this gave me the perfect balance of flavour and taste.
- Potato fry(south Indian style) goes very well with the lemon rice too, just in case you aren’t the papad person.
- You could serve the Rice with Raita too.
If you tried this recipe and liked it please comment below. Would love to hear from you.
Get yummy recipes delivered to your inbox!
Be the first one to know about our new recipes. Leave your email below and get notified as soon as new recipes are published!