These Muffins are so buttery and cheesy with a melt in the mouth texture. They taste almost like a Quiche and are very simple to make. You can mix in vegetables if you want, I have just kept them plain. They are a great option for snack time or good to go in children’s snack boxes. They keep good up to a week in the refrigerator. I have used plain flour/ Maida here, but as I mentioned earlier that I’m partial to wheat flour, I will be trying these muffins with wheat flour soon and blog the result with the recipe. In the meanwhile let’s get to the recipe right away.
PREP TIME: 20 Mins COOK TIME: 35Mins
TOTAL TIME: 55 Mins COURSE: SNACK
CUISINE: WORLD SERVINGS: 4
AUTHOR: Rajni Ram
Plain flour 2 Cups
Baking powder 1.5 tsp
baking soda 1/2 tsp
Cheddar cheese 1.5 cups
Curd/yogurt 1/4 cup
Milk 1 cup
Refined oil 1/4 cup
Garlic clove 3 crushed
Butter 2 Tbsp
salt as per taste( remember the cheese has salt too)
Black pepper powder 1/2 tsp
Chilli flakes 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves finely chopped or Parsley 1 Tbsp
Crush the garlic, put in a microwave-safe bowl or a small pan. Add the butter to this and melt in microwave/ stove. With this butter garlic mixture brush the muffin tins and keep ready. Reserve some butter- garlic mixture for brushing the muffin tops. Preheat oven to 180 degrees while you make the muffin batter.
In a dish put in the milk, egg, curd, and oil, and mix well. Don’t beat or whip it. Just stir well and make it a homogenous mixture. In another dish mix all the dry ingredients- the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chilli flakes, black pepper powder and mix them all together well. Add these dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, little by little. Add the finely chopped coriander/parsley. Finally, mix in the cheddar cheese. Don’t mix in the cheese vigorously, just fold it in with very light hands. Now in they go into the muffin tin( I have used silicone muffin cups). Brush the muffin tops with the butter- garlic mixture. Your oven should be hot by now. Place the muffin cups/tins in the oven and bake at 180 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Test for doneness by pricking with a toothpick in the center of the muffin. If it comes out clean, remove the muffins and allow to cool completely.
STEPWISE RECIPE FOLLOWS:
1. Assemble all ingredients.
2. In a microwave-safe dish put in the crushed garlic and butter and melt or put it in a small pan and melt over the stove. Grease the muffin cups with this mixture.
3. Preheat oven at 180 degrees.
4. Mix all the wet ingredients in a dish- milk, egg, curd/yogurt, oil. Combine well and make it a homogenous mixture.
5. Mix all dry ingredients in another dish- flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, red chilli flakes, black pepper powder. Mix them well and add them to the wet mixture, little by little.
6. Mix nicely with light hands. Finally, add in the cheese and gently fold it in. Scoop the mixture in a spoon and fill in the muffin cups. Brush the muffin tops with butter garlic mixture.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the muffin. If it comes out clean remove the muffins and cool completely. If a little undone, bake for a few more minutes.
1. Feel free to add vegetables of your choice to the muffin dough, I have not added any as I love the cheesy taste.
2. Cheddar cheese is recommended as Mozzarella doesn’t add much flavor to the muffin.
3. These muffins stay good up to a month in the refrigerator and are a healthy option for kids’ lunch boxes. Just warm them up and they are good to pack.