Creamy Pink Sauce Pasta
Well, who doesn’t love pink Pasta? Yes, pink pasta. Usually, pink pasta is made with a combination of white sauce and tomato pasta sauce. In this recipe, I have used a lot of tomato puree and milk, some cream, and loads of Parmesan cheese. The sauce is extremely slurpy and delicious. The sauce can be used as it is or one can add-in as per their preference.
I am also letting you into a little secret of how restaurants get that creamy texture. I have also used Pangritato(toasted bread crumbs) which takes this dish to a completely different level. This Pasta sauce is very easy to make and the dish gets done very quickly.
I have used Spaghetti and a few pieces of Macaroni just for some aesthetic effect and nothing else. You can avoid it completely, or use only Macaroni instead of Spaghetti or use both like I did. Children are sure to love this recipe and adults too and the bowl will be clean.
The use of parmesan cheese gives a nice sharp taste to the sauce. Feel free to add other herbs like Basil, I have used only Italian seasoning.
Here is the recipe of Creamy Tomato pasta for you–
PREP TIME: 20 MINS COOK TIME: 20 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 40 MINS SERVINGS: 4
CUISINE: WORLD FOOD AUTHOR: Rajni Ram
Spaghetti 1 packet (300 gm)
Macaroni 1 handful(optional)
Tomato puree 200 to 250 ml
Cream (medium or high fat) 1/2 cup
Milk 1 cup
Parmesan cheese 1 cup and a little more
Bread slice 1(for the Pangritato)
Pepper powder 1 tsp
Red chilli powder 1 tsp
Garlic 5 pods crushed
Onion 1 finely chopped
Chilli flakes 2 tsp(divided)
Oregano or Italian seasoning 2 tsp(divided)
Cilantro/Coriander leaves finely chopped 2 tsp
Olive oil/butter 2 tbsp
Cook the pasta aldente( a little undone- just put off the flame 2 minutes than the recommended time on the pasta packet). Reserve 2 cup of the water in which the pasta cooked and drain the remaining. Pour cold water over pasta, drain it completely and place the pasta in a colander.
Put 1 tsp of chilli flakes and Italian seasoning in 1 cup of the reserved pasta water and pour this water over the pasta in the colander, the water will drain away but the flakes and the seasoning will stick to the pasta. This step is what gives that flavouring in restaurants( 1 secret revealed).
Now in a wok or pan add 2 tbsp Olive oil/butter and heat. add the crushed garlic and saute for 30 seconds and add the onion. Continue to saute until the onions turn transparent. Now reduce the heat and pour in all other ingredients into the pan, like tomato puree, cream, milk and 3/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Stir the contents nicely over a medium flame until the cheese melts completely and the sauce starts bubbling. Add the reserved cup of pasta water to the sauce and dilute it, this is what gives the sauciness when the sauce becomes thick again( secret 2 revealed????). Now add the pepper powder, red chilli powder and salt to the sauce and continue to cook. The sauce will now become dense ad thick if it’s too thick then dilute again by adding 1/4 cup water. The sauce should be thick and stick to the pasta and not run all over it. Now add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix nicely. The sauce should have covered all the pasta nicely. Now add the chopped Cilantro, Italian seasoning and top up with the remaining Parmesan cheese, cover and cook for a minute. Put off the flame and serve immediately. Yummy saucy pasta is ready. Enjoy. Bon Appetit.
For the Pangritato: Toast one bread slice with a little butter until crisp and powder it. this powder is Pangritato, basically toasted bread crumbs.
They are used a lot in Italian cooking.
STEPWISE RECIPE FOLLOWS:
1. Assemble all ingredients.
Cooking the pasta perfectly- Take about 2 litres of water in a big vessel( I prefer a flat and broad one) and boil it. When it begins to boil add a teaspoon of salt(reduce heat before you add salt or the boiling water will overflow), a teaspoon of oil and add the pasta. Keep stirring and cooking it and keep checking in between if it is done. Remember that you have put off the flame while it’s still a little undone or let’s say when it is 3/4 done. Remember to reserve 2 cups of this water and drain the rest. Immediately pour some cold water over the pasta and drain it. Place the pasta in a colander. Add 1 tsp of red chilli flakes and oregano seasoning to 1 cup of the reserved pasta water, a pinch of salt and pour it over the pasta that is cooling. This step ensures that the pasta is full of flavours.
2. In a wok/pan add 2 tbsp butter or olive oil and heat. Add the crushed garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Now add the onions and saute until they turn translucent.
3. Now reduce the flame to low and add the tomato puree, cream, milk and 3/4 of the Parmesan cheese and cook until the cheese melts. Keep stirring. The sauce will thicken. Now pour the remaining pasta water or regular water is fine too if you don’t have enough pasta water and dilute the sauce.
4. Now add the salt, red chilli powder, pepper powder, chilli flakes and simmer the sauce until it thickens again. Now put in the pasta into the sauce and mix it nicely, the movement should be from bottom to top so that the sauce spreads evenly over the pasta.
5. Finally, reduce the flame and top up the pasta with the remaining cheese and cook covered for a minute until the cheese melts. Now put off the flame and add the Pangritato. Enjoy this yummy pasta piping hot.
1. For any pasta recipe to turn out well, cooking the pasta carefully is very important.
2. Zucchini, Broccoli, Red onions etc can be added to the sauce. if adding them, add after sauteeing the onions and saute them also for 3 minutes.
3. If Parmesan is not available Cheddar also can be used, but definitely, there will be a difference in taste.
4. The sauce I made was just enough to put the pasta in, you can make more if you like it very saucy.
5. If you forget to reserve the pasta water, it is fine. Just continue with regular water or vegetable broth if you have.
6. I have added Macaroni only for the aesthetics, it fine if the recipe is made without it too.
If you tried this recipe and liked it please comment below. I would love to hear from you.
If you want the recipes emailed to you leave your id in the homepage near the????
icon. Whenever we have a new post the recipe will be mailed to you. Thank you for showing interest in Rajjo’s Kitchen.