Nendran Pazham Halwa/ Banana Halwa
Apple Cake (Tea Cake)
Until recently I did not know that such delicious cakes could be made using Apples. I mostly stuck to making the Apple Crumble. I came across this recipe some time ago, and as you know I have to try it thrice without errors for it to feature on the blog. So here is the recipe that is foolproof, also no whisking, just mixing, so mess at all.
This cake has a very delicate flavour and is a crumbly cake, it is very light and a great tea time cake. What more, it is healthy and kids will love it( you could just drizzle chocolate sauce or Nutella over it for them). It tastes best when warm and keeps good for 2 days at room temperature. Just warm before you serve and it is fresh again.
The apple slices that you see in the picture make it look sophisticated, but it is not such a difficult cake to make. The apple slices on top can be excluded altogether, as the cake batter has them already, but I like them with a lot of apples and the glaze and hence I make it this way.
While you are here please check out my other cake recipes like Blueberry Cheesecake, Nutella Fudge brownies, Apple Crumble and Pineapple Jam Tart.
Here is the recipe of Apple Cake for you-
PREP TIME: 20 Mins COOK TIME: 40 Mins
TOTAL TIME:60Mins COURSE: DESSERT
CUISINE: WORLD FOOD SERVINGS: 6
AUTHOR: Rajni Ram
Ingredients for coating apples:
Apples 3 large( any variety) cut half to cubes and half of them in slices.
Cinnamon powder 3 tsp( divided)
Butter 3 tbsp ( divided)
Sugar 2 tbsp (divided)
Flour/ Maida 1.5 cups
Baking powder 2 tsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Butter 60 gm melted
Oil ( refined) 1/2 cup
Sugar ( white) 3/4 cup
Vanilla essence 1 tsp
Honey 2 tbsp.
First, peel the apples and chop 1 1/2 apples to small cubes and another 1 1/2 to slices. Pug them in two separate bowls.
Divide and add the cinnamon powder, butter, and sugar between both the bowls equally and mix. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 200 c and start preparing the cake batter.
Put all the dry ingredients in one bowl and mix well.
In another bowl combine all wet ingredients( refer to ingredients above)Now add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine nicely using a spatula. No electric beater required. Once nicely combined, mix in the apples chopped to cubes to the batter and mix gently.
Grease a baking tray and line it with parchment paper/ baking paper. Pour the batter into the tray, tap it once gently and place it in the oven. Bake at 200 C for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Once done remove from oven and leave to cool down a bit. Cut when still warm and serve. The delicious Apple cake is ready to serve.
STEPWISE RECIPE FOLLOWS:
1. Assemble all ingredients. Chop 1 half of the Apples to cubes and the other half to slices. Put them in 2 separate bowls.
2. Divide and add the butter, cinnamon powder, and sugar in both bowls, mix nicely and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 200 C. Now put all dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix.
4. Take all wet ingredients in another bowl and combine well. Now mix the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine well.
5. Now add the cubed apples to the batter and fold gently. Grease a circular cake mould and line with parchment/baking paper. Now scoop in the batter into the mould.
6. Take the sliced apples and arrange them like a fan on the batter. Now it is ready to be popped into the oven. Bake at 200C for 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Allow it to cool for 5 minutes and apply the honey over it with a brush and cool it. The honey gives the apples a beautiful glaze. Serve them a little warm.
1. Any variety of apples can be used for this recipe.
2. This cake has a crumbly texture, you will know if you look at the picture. It is super moist.
3. It holds good for 3 days at room temperature, for long storage put it in the fridge and warm just before serving.
4. It is also a good snack box idea for kids as it can be made ahead, just remove from the refrigerator, warm it and allow it to sweat, then pack.
5. This cake can be made without the sliced apples on top too. Just mix the chopped apple and scoop mixture into the baking tin/ tray and bake.
If you tried this recipe and liked it please comment below. I would love to hear from you. If you have a query about the recipe email us and ill respond as soon as I can.
If you would like to receive our recipes on your mail please leave your mail id at the homepage. Every time Rajjo’s Kitchen has a new post we will mail the recipe to you.
Apple Crumble (Eggless Dessert)
A Crumble is a dessert with all the goodness of a pie sans the effort of making a pie crust. They are very easy to make and can be made with a large variety or combination of fruits. Berry crumble, Pear Crumble, a combination of pear and almond can also be done. Today I decided to make the Crumble as I have been craving it for long, and so I gave in to temptation.
As I think of Apple Crumble a feeling of warmth always spreads over, as this also is a dessert that is served warm, usually with icecream. But believe me when I say, by itself, it is too good to resist. Apple Crumble is a dessert with cinnamon apple filling with a crumbly crunchy crust. As it bakes the apple filling gets jammy and saucy and the aroma that fills the house while this is cooking is so inviting. It’s a very simple dessert and has no eggs. Usually, plain flour is used for this recipe, but I have used half of the plain flour and half of wheat flour, and since this dessert turned out quite well, next time I’m trying out a full wheat flour one..my love for wheat flour is unbeatable.
I’m soon planning to make the Berry Crumble and you, my dear friends will get the first preview I promise. In the meanwhile, as you look up my website check out my recipe for Pineapple Tart
and Savoury Muffin
Here is the Apple Crumble recipe for you—
PREP TIME: 15 MINS COOK TIME: 40 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 55 MINS SERVINGS: 5
CUISINE: WORLD FOOD AUTHOR: Rajni Ram
Ingredients for filling:
Apples 2 any variety( firm ones preferred) chopped
Cinnamon powder 2 tsp
Plain flour/refined flour 1 tbsp
White sugar 1/4 cup
Lemon juice 1 tsp
Ingredients for the Crumble:
Wheat flour 1/2 cup
Plain flour 1/2 cup
Oats 1 cup rolled or instant
Butter 120 gms chilled, cut to pieces( refer note 4)
Brown sugar 1 cup
Cinnamon powder 2 tsp
Baking powder 1/2 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
Requirement: 1to 1.5 litre Pie dish
Before making the crumble mixture put the oven to preheat at 180 degrees.
Directions for filling:
In a bowl put in the chopped apples(skin intact), add 1 tbsp flour, lemon juice, sugar and cinnamon powder and mix well. Spread this mixture into the Pie dish and keep aside.
Directions for the Crumble crust:
In a bowl take both the flours, oats and add the cubed butter and start rubbing the butter into the oat-flour mixture. As the butter mixes with the flour its appearance becomes crumbly. After all the butter is rubbed in add the baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon powder and combine. The mixture should look like wet sand. Now take this flour mixture little by little and start covering the filling in the pie dish. Cover the whole filling compactly and press it down with you palm a bit. Put in the Crumble into a preheated oven and bake at 180 C for 40 minutes. After the oven beeps, get it out, cover with aluminium foil for around 15 minutes and serve warm. Serve with Icecream or just plain. Nutella lovers can drizzle some on top. Enjoy…I’m already craving dessert. Bon Appetit.
STEPWISE RECIPE FOLLOWS:
1. Assemble all ingredients. Chop the apples, powder the cinnamon, put the oven to preheat at 180 degrees.
2. In a bowl combine all the ingredients given under filling put it in the Pie dish and arrange evenly and set aside.
3. In another bowl add the flours( you can stick to a single variety too), the Oats, cinnamon powder and the chilled butter and start rubbing in the butter into the flour oats mixture. By the time the butter combines with the flour, it should appear crumbly.
4. Now add in the baking powder, salt, brown sugar, to the flour-butter mixture and combine again. Now it starts resembling wet sand.
5. Start covering the apple filling with the crumble mixture and gently press down with your palm.
6. Put it in the preheated oven and bake at 180 C or 350 F for 40 minutes, until the crust turns golden brown.
7. Remove from oven and wrap the dish with aluminium foil to retain the heat for 15 minutes. Serve warm as it is or with ice cream.
1. I have mixed atta/ wheat flour and Maida/plain flour, you can use only the Maida too.
2. White sugar can be used in both filling and crumble top and so can the brown sugar in both.
3. Preheating the oven is critical for any baking recipe as this can affect the quality of the dish.
4. For a crisp/ crunchy crust use chilled butter as per recipe. For a chewy crust use melted butter at room temperature. Rest of the recipe remains the same.
YouTube video available for this recipe. Link below ????
If you tried this recipe and liked it please comment below. I would love to hear from you.